Tuesday 13 December 2011

Sam Baker - Live Theatre, Newcastle. 16.9.11

Sam Baker – Live Theatre, Newcastle

16th September 2011



This was the first time I had been to a gig at The Live Theatre since its renovation and I was immediately impressed at how great a venue it now felt.

The opening act was an artist from Austin, Texas, about whom I had heard a little; Betty Soo, a good friend of Sam Baker’s from Austin, Texas.  She played with Doug Cox, from Canada, whom she met in Alaska. Such connections could only be made in the music world! 

Vocally, Betty Soo reminds me of someone, I just can’t quite place who it is; she has quite a soulful voice, and at times it takes on a blues sound.   During her  short set, she took us through some of her own songs, some she had recorded with Doug and some by friends, including Butch Hancock and Guy Clark, which proved she can interpret a song as well as she can write one. More than once Doug wowed with his guitar playing.  The standout song for me was ‘Never The Pretty Girl, which I could imagine her fellow Texan Kimmie Rhodes singing, and a song about being Crazy contained a line that was genius; You think I’m crazy but that depends, I don’t seem that crazy to me.

I for one was impressed with what I heard of Betty Soo and from talk around the Live Theatre, I don’t think I’ll be alone in looking up more of her material.



Sam Baker took to the Stage, immediately saying how great it was to be back.  The thing with Sam Baker?  You know without question that he means it.  Accompanied by a wonderful musician  named Chip Dolan, he immediately showed us he was indeed back.  Taking us through a varied set, he played  such songs as Jacob’s Ladder and Slots before taking us to ‘the religious part.’  Telling us a fascinating story (which I won’t repeat as he tells it much better than I ever could!) he segued into Mnemonite, the preceeding story making the song mean something totally different.  His lyrics are so clever, especially when you consider this was a story he had been told.  Boxes followed and I have to say I love his articulation of the word ‘something.’

He then stated he was going to play us some new material, which of course is always exciting. He told us the first one was a love song, quipping, ‘I don’t do many of those, though maybe you can find a thread in all of my songs...’ This then sparked one of the infamous Sam Baker rambles where he went off tangent talking about the meaning of love in songs and left everyone laughing.  When Sam gets to talking and telling stories, he could clearly go all night and I think most of us present would happily listen all night. As he talks his infectious smile lights up the room and the audience is left in no doubt that this is a man who loves what he is doing.   A few more new songs followed, during which we also got to see what an amazing pianist Chip Dolan really is; he reminded me very much of Barry Walsh and believe me, I can give no higher compliment than that!

Bringing his tour manager, Rebecca Kemp on stage, he had her sing Iron with him; wow, I’ve known Rebecca a good while now and had NO idea she could sing.  Obviously Sam spotted something he needed us all to see; we were very impressed.

Snow followed, with one of my favourite Sam lyrics, Talk about Forgiveness, help me understand. Looking back at his life experience, we could all do well to carry that line with us; the world would be a better place.  As the song ended, Sam himself was clearly caught up in the beauty of the piano ending Chip had created.  Again, it brought to mind Barry Walsh and his piano part in Gretchen Peters’ On a Bus to St Cloud; exquisite.

Joking that if he stopped talking and hurried it up we might get to see his friend Betty Soo again, more favourites followed in the form of Odessa, Juarez, Pretty World, and his fantastic cover of the great Mickey Newbury song, Just dropped in (to see what condition my condition was in)

Inviting Betty Soo back up on stage with Doug Cox, and immediately demonstrating the great rapport between them, he commented how lovely it is to bump into good friends when you’re on the road.  It made me smile to think that to him, Newcastle, England, can feel as much a part of ‘the road’ as somewhere in America.

Some deliberation followed as Sam wanted to play a song they hadn’t rehearsed...there was a little reluctance but he got his way, in his typical ‘We’re among friends here’ attitude. Treating us to Waves and a stunning version of both Cotton, with Betty Soo taking on the Hallelujahs, and Orphan, with her adding the ‘sweet chariot’ parts, their harmony was quite remarkable.  The evening ended all too soon with an intriguing choice; Long Black Veil, which the audience found themselves singing along with... another of those magical moments where everyone in the room was connected by music.

The thing with a Sam Baker gig is you actually don’t want it to end.  He makes you feel you have been in the company of a friend  and you want to listen to more  his songs and stories and share a little bit more of his world, his charm and his magic.  It is definitely safe to say that whilst in the presence of Sam Baker, you get a glimpse into a more Pretty World and leaves you counting down the days until he comes to hang out with us again.

No comments:

Post a Comment