Sunday 5 September 2010

Live Review - Roddy Frame & Emily Maguire - 06.11.08

Artist:Roddy Frame with Emily Maguire


Venue:The Sage

Town:Newastle

Date:November 6th



I have to confess from the start of this review that I actually attended this gig as a chance to see Emily Maguire perform again.



Having first seen her play to 18 people at a house concert near York, then to 1800 opening for Don MacLean and 800 opening for Eric Bibb in the Sage's Hall 1, I have to admit that it was wonderful to experience the first time she played Hall 2 of the Sage, my favourite place for live music.



A lot has happened for Emily Maguire since that house concert, not least regular Radio 2 airplay, including Terry Wogan and the fact that she recently played her first headline show with a band at The Bush Hall in London. That brief folk clubs tour of the UK has now had them away from their home in rural Australia for over 18 months, but despite occasional homesickness, Emily is certainly not complaining!



As soon as she took the stage, flanked by bassist and husband, Christian Dunholm, and launched into her opening song for the evening - Standing - a song in which she could be singing about her own life - it was clear that she has a whole new level of confidence, whilst retaining a down to earth nature to which you can't help but warm.



Someday, All You Wanted, and a stunning song to appear on her new album (recorded next month) called Free all followed, interspersed with a few stories. What is clear to anyone about Emily is that she is talented; watching people around the room I think most would agree. As she and Christian play, they are totally at ease with and tuned into each other, making everything seem effortless.



Her set was rounded off with Falling on my Feet, which again almost mirrors Emily's life of late, and one of my favourites from the latest album, Keep Walking. I sincerely hope that the confidence and ease with which Emily presented her set this evening, is derived from a knowledge that she is going places and will 'keep walking' onto more stages in the knowledge that she belongs there with the best of them.



Other than the name I knew nothing about Roddy Frame. I learned that in the 1980's he was the founder member of an Indie band called Aztec Camera - I haven't heard of them either, even though their second Cd was produced by none other than Mark Knopfler. However judging from the fact that this show had sold out in next to no time and there wasn't an empty seat to be seen, I'd say lots of people have indeed heard of Roddy Frame and Aztec Camera.



As he took to the stage, wearing jeans, a checked shirt and what intruigingly looked like moccasin slippers, it struck me that he didn't look old enough to have had a twenty year career; I later learned he started out at seventeen which explains it. As he opened his mouth, I also learned he is Scottish and has recently been on tour with Edwyn Collins but wanted to try a solo tour as it had been too long.



Clearly at ease both on stage and in front of an audience he chatted and joked between songs, which ranged from his older solo material, to items from his newest offering, Surf, by way of some songs from Aztec Camera. He switched effortlessly between playing guitar, mouth organ, and both. I was somewhat disappointed that unusually I didn't recognise any of the songs as I thought once I heard them I might realise I'd heard some before. I guess due to the audience obviously being die hard fans, Roddy didn't state the names of many of the songs, but a couple he did which I enjoyed were Mixed Up Love and High Class Music.



In all honesty, having hoped for such a great show after he'd been raved about I found his music to be listenable but nothing inspiring - perhaps that is because I didn't know his music earlier? Or maybe I just didn't get it. What was absoloutely clear was that the rest of the audience loved the show and left very satisfied having seen one of their favourite acts perform again after a very long hiatus. I suspect that next time he tours his tickets will sell out just as fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment