Saturday 22 January 2011

Introducing...Duke lang

Duke Lang

Canada native, Duke Lang, has some songs on his myspace (Doug Lang) that anyone can listen to.  However, I was lucky that he offered me the opportunity to hear the pre release copies of his two CDs – The Norway Sessions Volume I and II – Crooked and Troubador, which contain 14 and 12 tracks, respectively.
All of the songs are written by Duke himself and musical Contributors on Doug's band tracks include Laura Newbury, Leif Christian Ovesen, William Troiani, Magne Hellesjo, Mike Beck, Tone Stojka, Tore Blesterud, Anders Nesblom, Harald Vaernor and Jarl Edward.  He writes exquisite lyrics and has a gorgeous at times rough edged voice, which brings to mind the Texas singer songwriters I love, such as Tom Russell and Sam Baker.
At times country, at times folk, Duke tells stories, paints pictures and evokes people and places in true Americana style.   In all honesty it is hard to choose favourite tracks, but perhaps ones which really standout are Last Dirt Road on Earth, Suite for New Orleans, Border Town, Kid Alton and Saskatchewan  1939.  However, my undisputed favourite would have to be 61 North, which, quite simply, is an eloquent and  poetic musical journey which could have been penned by Tom Russell or Gretchen Peters – no question – I can give no higher compliment than that.
I sincerely hope that Duke Lang soon releases his CDs; they really will be a gift to the world and deserve to be highly acclaimed by press and music lovers alike.  I look forward to seeing his journey unfold, and hope it brings him to this side of the pond so I can hear his music live as well as on disc.  How about it Duke?


www.myspace.com/Dukelang

No comments:

Post a Comment