Saturday 22 January 2011

The Sage Gateshead - Christmas Playing the Building Tour

The Sage, Gateshead
Playing The Building Tour – Christmas special

‘Playing the Building’ is the name given to The Sage, Gateshead’s behind the scenes tour.  Having said practically since The Sage opened six years ago, that we would be interested in taking part in said tour, my parents and I finally got around to booking it for Sunday, December 19th.

Having previously read the basic description of the tour, and it having never occurred to me to read the blurb for this particular tour, I was in for a surprise!
The initial surprise was when we were greeted by the tour guide and what appeared to be a security guard, playing a guitar, who appeared singing Christmas songs and encouraging those of us waiting to join in with such songs as Little Donkey, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I simply thought it was a lovely touch, to include security and to add a Christmas twist as we waited.  I also feel I need to mention at this point what a lovely singing voice the guide, Jane Lindenberg, has!
As more people began to arrive, the security guard began drawing our attention to a poster on the wall, asking if anyone had seen any strange characters around the place as he was a Cliff Richard wannabe and  had been spotted all week trying to get onto the stage to sing.  Even then I didn’t click, thinking it was a joke and this strange character would run by or there would be a joke involving him later.

As leaflets were handed out containing song lyrics, I thought, ‘Oh great, a sing along and we’ll be taught some old fashioned Christmas songs during the tour, too!’ until I looked at the back and saw a cast list.
Before that really even had a chance to register, the tour guide and security guard introduced themselves and began to talk about The Sage – that it had opened 6 years ago almost to the day (Dec 17)  In the middle of this, out of the blue, the door of The Northern Rock Foundation Hall behind us burst open, amid smoke and there in front of us stood two ‘courtiers’ from King Charles’ time, singing There we go a Wassailing.
From this point it became quite apparent that we were not only on a tour of The Sage, but on a very special tour of The Sage, during which a pantomime of sorts would be played out in front of, and involving, all of us present.
The storyline was that Oliver Cromwell had banned Christmas so the two courtiers had travelled forward in time to ask for our help.  Our task was to create enough Christmas magic to save Christmas.
As we toured the building, through the education centre, dressing rooms and green room, more of the story unfolded. We even had a mock up Fenwick window, a Christmas elf, a tramp and Santa himself! In a twist to the story, it emerged that the Cliff wannabe had been spotted.  As the two stories merged we sang en masse as we walked around – heaven only knows what the other Sage Visitors thought at the sight  of an assortment of visitors, a member of Sage staff, two courtiers, an elf, Santa and a Cliff lookalike (dressed in a tshirt which read ‘We wish you a merry Cliffmass.’) singing Here we go a Wassailing, and I suspect not very tunefully at that!  The amazing thing was we had all gotten so caught up in it all, I don’t think we cared!
Each trip in the lift involved a song telling us some of the Sage’s story – a totally inspired way to deliver the facts.  Nobody was even phased  when at one point the lift contained a crew member with a set of drums; we were simply led down two flights of stairs, singing once more, as we passed everyone sat in the cafe looking rather confused as we all trooped by!  It was obvious in several places that the Sage’s acoustics are so remarkable, that even in the corridors and lift areas the sound is amazing. 
The conclusion of the story involved the courtiers persuading us that ‘Cliff’ should be allowed to sing on the stage if it meant so much to him.  Thus, we were led behind the scenes, up onto the stage of Hall 2, split into 4 groups and given a magical opportunity.  There we all sang a medieval Christmas song, in the round on that stage.  I literally had goosebumps, thinking that not only was I standing, but singing, on the very stage where so many of my favourite artists have performed.  Priceless and certainly something which will be forever ingrained in my memory.
We were led back to where we began, singing Last Christmas as we went, and handed bells with which we would create the final bit of magic to send the courtiers, with ‘Cliff,’ back in time.
I admit we probably didn’t get as much information about the Sage as in a typical tour, but there are plenty of those in a year.  I learned a lot I didn’t know, saw things I wouldn’t normally see, and had a truly magical Christmas experience.  I have no idea whose idea it was, but it was wonderful and in some ways doesn’t surprise me as The Sage always go a step beyond.
Perhaps all that is left for me to say is that I highly recommend this tour next year and a big thankyou to The Sage, the staff involved and those from the Community Music Trainees who made it happen. I, for one, will be back next year, with my singing voice intact and maybe some tinsel in my hair, especially for the occasion...

No comments:

Post a Comment