Monday 2 January 2012

Hellbound Train - Delta Moon

Delta Moon – Hellbound Train

Ironically my first listen to this CD was on a train – thankfully not hellbound like the one in the song!  I had never heard of this band,but it seems they are well known as a nationally touring blues-rock band. In 2008, The American Roots Music Association named lead singer Tom Gray as Blues Songwriter of the Year; his songs having been recorded by such artists as Cyndi Lauper, Manfred Mann and Carlene Carter. This is a great, often fun, collection of songs, enhanced by great musicians on lap steel and slide guitar, creating a real Delta Blues sound. They sing of trains, love and being Stuck in Carolina – I can think of worse places.  An unusual choice is a cover of You Gotta Move, by Mississippi legend Fred McDowell, but it works.  Standout track, however, has to be Plantation Song, which evokes the Deep South that I love, the Delta, the cotton fields, as the story unfolds. This song alone is worth the price of the CD, showing the side to this band that I like the best.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite bands. I've travelled to Atlanta, Georgia and to Ontario, Canada to hear them and have never been disappointed. If you like their CDs you'll love them live, in person!

    Joanne
    Calgary, Alberta
    http://rhythmoftheneedles.com

    ReplyDelete