Monday 2 January 2012

Zoe Muth and The Lost High Rollers - Self-Titled

Zoe Muth adnd the Lost High Rollers

Self-titled

Tracks: 12



Another new name to me, but one I haven’t stopped hearing since this CD arrived, Zoe Muth immediately caught my attention due to the frequent comparisons to folk singer songwriter Iris DeMent.  Apparently the comparisons are justified.

Frequently, I caught myself forgetting I was listening to a recent CD and not one from back in the country music days of, say the sixties, such is Muth’s country sound; in many ways this seems at odds with her age, but it has worked for Elizabeth Cook and Sunny Sweeney before her. At times she also reminds me of Emmylou Harris and even Tift Merritt.  Dave Harmonson adds great touches with electric guitar and pedal steel and Ethan Lawton’s mandolin complements this perfectly.

There are some strong songs on this CD, despite the fact that for the most part they are quite sad; almost bleak at times. There is a very clever twist in You only believe me when I’m Lying, which I wasn’t expecting, whilst Never be Fooled Again, is a story of complete heartbreak, condensed into the time of the song. The standout track for me, however, would have to be Middle of Nowhere, with the brilliant line, “In the middle of nowhere at my own home address."  You really have to hear it. 

From the sounds of this CD, I think Zoe Muth and the High Rollers may well become high rollers on the music scene and am already looking forward to getting hold of their second CD to see where it takes them.


No comments:

Post a Comment